Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Great Bake IV

I'm taking a small break from what will now be referred to forever more as "The Christmas Light Catastrophe of 2009" whilst Honey goes to Canadian Tire again. I'm sure it will look lovely when we are done... next March.

Here's hoping that typing about my latest baking effort will bring the circulation back to my hands. Why I insist on puttering around outside in subzero weather in bare feet and Crocs is a totally different matter.

My mother made this recipe a lot when we were growing up. In high school, after I got my braces removed, they left me with a permanent retainer on the back of my bottom teeth. I permanently bent it out of shape eating these squares right out of the freezer. They are that good... and when I say good, I mean "OMG, I need insulin and my stomach pumped". Yes, that good.

Magic Cookie Bars

1/c butter
1 1/2 c graham wafer crumbs
1 can condensed milk
1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 c flaked coconut
1 c chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 325 degrees if using a glass dish. In a 13x9" baking pan, melt butter in oven. Sprinkle crumbs into butter, mix together and press into pan. Pour milk evenly over crumbs. Sprinkle with chips, then coconut and then nuts; press down firmly. Bake 20-30 minutes. or until lightly browned. Cool well before cutting. Store loosely covered at room temperature.

Makes 24 bars



Magic Cookie Bars
These are Hubby's fave so far...

------------------------------------

These should also be served only to people you like. Pressing down in the pan is important so that all the layers meld together a bit before you put it in the oven. Check it frequently, to make sure the coconut isn't getting too brown.

With any luck, I'll get to more tomorrow. However, with our current plans of "put up the tree", I highly doubt it. That never goes smoothly either.

"Broken cookies don't have calories" ~ Unknown

No comments: